Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cranberry rosemary seed crackers


Someone in my book club sent around this recipe for cranberry rosemary seed crackers. She got it from a blog, of course.

These crackers are supposed to taste exactly like the gourmet ones that come in a tiny beautiful box for $7 or more. So yesterday I stopped in at the grocery store and stocked up on the ingredients. I bought raw pumpkin seeds, millet, flax seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, plus molasses and dried cranberries.

For less than $10 I got what I needed. The whole wheat flour and milk I already had.

These crackers are pretty easy to make. You just mix the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.

Then add the molasses and soured milk and put into loaf pans.

The recipe calls for two very small loaf pans, which I didn't have, so I used a regular loaf pan and a little casserole dish. Here they are coming out of the oven.

After cooling the loaves, I wrapped them in foil and left them in the fridge overnight. Then this morning I sliced them as thin as possible and put them in a 250 degree oven for about an hour to dry out.

The recipe made lots and they taste as good as the gourmet ones. I like the way they look as well, even though they're not as regular in shape.

And best of all--no fat. I'm going to serve them on Friday when I have guests for lunch.

They're really easy to make and I still have enough seeds and cranberries to make another batch.
Here's the blog posting with the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.