Sunday, December 20, 2009

What the heck?



The other day we found a little dead gekko in our laundry room.  Don't know what happened to the poor fellow but he ended up being swept into the garbage.  Not three hours later we found this guy on the rear door of the van.  He's pretty big--at least 3 1/2 inches, and actually larger than the gekko. Harry suggested that this one was looking for the gekko and wasn't going to leave until he found it.  It's actually a beautiful insect of some kind, but I have no idea what.  By the time we were leaving in the car last night it had moved onto the pavement so I hope it managed to find its way home.  The gekko is in another realm by now, I'm sure.

4 comments:

  1. I hope the fleas are better. I wouldn't do well sharing my living quarters with critters like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who eats who? Tis is one big bug! I think he's quite fascinating to look at, though I wouldn't want to meet him in person.
    Pity the poor gekko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a type of grasshopper - we had similar varieties in Australia. I googled Mexico grasshopper and found a close image but the body was green. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. joanna - it's a sports car designed by lotus. they're lighter than air and this one got carried wayyyyy off the test track! no seriously. i bet it'd be alright dipped in chocolate. lotsa protein! steven

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.