Thursday, July 1, 2010

Canada Day

I was out cleaning up the Arbutus leaves in the front yard just now and I experienced the new way of celebrating Canada Day.  It seems that young people in Victoria love to dress up in bright red and sparkling white clothing.  Several groups of teenagers walked by totally dressed in red and white.  I think they were heading down the hill to take the bus downtown. Many of the girls had white shorts, red T-shirts, Canada flags painted on their cheeks, and red and white socks and shoes.  The guys seemed to go in more for those red and black lumberjack shirts. 

It was all in good fun--except that quite a few of them seemed to be drunk already.  And it was only six o'clock.  Over the past few years I've seen an increase in the drunken approach to this holiday--and I think it's a shame.  Five years ago when we had a Japanese girl living with us for a while, we took her down to Victoria's inner harbour to see the fireworks and Canada Day celebrations.  She was excited to see a real Canadian "festival" and we were shocked and embarrassed  to see the  number of drunken young people cruising around.  That was the last time we went down to see the fireworks.

Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy now.  I'm all for people celebrating Canada and being Canadian.  And I'm as proud of my country as the next person, but I really don't see why it has to be like this.  The police last year were boarding buses and pouring out alcohol in an attempt to quell the rowdy behaviour.  This year they're doing it again, but are informing people before hand of their plans.  I guess the young people decided to do their drinking before they headed downtown this year.  Personally I think it's a shame that this celebration of our country has been hijacked by a bunch of drunk young people.

I know that it's not all young people.  And I know that everyone celebrates in many different ways.  There are lots of other events going on today.  We almost went to an open air Baroque concert at the top of Mount Doug, a lovely spot in a Garry Oak meadow this afternoon--except that it was raining!  So our Canada Day has been a quiet day at home preparing for our patio party on Sunday, July 4th.  It's fitting to celebrate that day as Harry was born in the USA.

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians. 

1 comment:

  1. Well Happy Canada Day !
    Every time I have vacationed in Canada I have loved it. Great people and Beautiful countryside. I really have loved everyday I have spent there.

    Your not the only one who feels that way about the drunken hijacking of holidays.

    Cinco De Mayo here is celebrated by lots of drunken people who shoot guns in the air ? and don't even know their own Mexican history. They get the battle wrong.

    I think July the Forth is somewhat better as it is and has been usually celebrated by backyard cookouts and fireworks. Our biggest problem not starting a forest fire. Thank goodness you can't buy fireworks in the area. Several places set off safe and wonderful displays.

    Happy Canada Day, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.