Sunday, April 24, 2011

U - Uncertainty

Nothing is certain in this life, I know that.  We all know that.  What's that old saying?  Nothing is certain but death and taxes.  But most of us pass our days with the expectation that we can make plans to have dinner tomorrow with a friend or make plans for the month ahead.  All of this is thrown for a loop when something happens that makes these certainties uncertain.

That's what we're feeling today at my house.  We're waiting for the hospital to call with a time for Jamie to have surgery on his Achilles tendon.  We're uncertain whether it will be this morning or this afternoon or even this evening.  All we know is that he's been told to eat nothing and wait for the call.   We're also uncertain whether Jamie will feel well enough to write his two final exams on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Or whether he'll be able to start his summer job on May the 2nd.   We know he'll be in a fibreglass cast for the first couple of weeks and then in a walking cast for six to eight weeks after that. 

This kind of waiting for things to unfold is very unsettling.  Especially to someone like me who likes to plan for everything.   Jamie, on the other hand, seems to be handling it all quite well.  He's my teacher today.  Or else he's just good at putting up a brave front.


3 comments:

  1. I'm not very good at planning anything very tightly. Which is pretty odd since I'm considered a control freak. Even when I write out a formal script, I find myself ad-libbing very quickly. I like things to be fluid and somewhat unpredictable.
    I hope that there is not too much waiting. They can't make him starve for too many days, can they?
    Best wishes for a successful surgery and good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping that everything works out.

    As it pertains to my experience with hospitals, uncertainty has ruled each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Jamie went in for the surgery today at 12:30 pm and is now home and resting comfortably.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.