Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tomatoes


Victoria is not known for its tomato crop.  Our weather is generally too cool to ripen them before the end of the season.  But this year in spite of our slow start we experienced several weeks of warm, dry weather.  And the result is a sweet tomato crop as shown above.

I just love home grown tomatoes of all types.  My favorite way to use them is in fresh tomato sauce on pasta.  I use chopped tomatoes (fully ripe), lots of basil, salt and pepper and mozzarella (fresh if possible, but even the packaged stuff works).  This makes a heavenly dish that shouts late summer.

This weekend we're experiencing more fall-like weather, even clouds, but those tomatoes are keeping summer's memory alive.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo and how lovely fresh tomatoes can taste. Are you still growing lettuce in pots on you deck ?
    I'm going to try to grow some of the upside down tomatoes next year, I am thinking where I live with all the animals just waiting to devour any new green leaf this might be the way to grow some.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, the upside down tomatoes. We had something taking a chomp out of a few of ours. I thought maybe a raccoon. Can't be deer because our yard is fenced. We don't have the javelinas either.

    Cheers to you,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.