Monday, February 27, 2012

Highlights of our day in Bisbee

We planned to spend a day or so in Bisbee, an old copper mining town that climbs up a hill, replete with Victoria houses, fancy hotels and miners' shacks.  But Mohita threw a bit of a wrench into our plans.  We arrived at the bottom of the hill leading up to the Queen Mine RV Park, which hangs out over the open pit mine with a view of the town across the highway.  After pulling into the parking lot to let the dogs out for a pee we found we were unable to start the engine.

Fortunately we had both a cell phone and the AAA coverage so we called for help and waited a couple of hours for the truck to arrive (from about 50 miles away as there is not AAA garage in Bisbee).  It turns out the alternator was shot and had to be replaced but we had to wait until Monday when garages in Bisbee would be open, so he jump started us and we drove up the hill to the RV park for the night.


We did manage to walk into town and take a few photographs.  It's an interesting place, but it seems to be more derelict than I recall from a visit here about 15 years ago.  Also some of the sights brought me back to a few unhappy years I spent living in a mining town.































We had a drink at the Copper Queen Hotel and admired the church on a hill and a dog in the yard before heading back to Mohita for our supper.








This morning we found a mechanic who came and jump started us and led us to the shop where they managed to find in stock the correct part.  They installed it while we waited and by noon we were good to go.  But by then we were kind of finished with Bisbee and we headed east across the windy flat desert into New Mexico.

The highlight of my day though, was the wait in the mechanic's yard.  One of the owners is nuts about old cars and he had a collection of rusted hulks lined up.  I spent a happy couple of hours taking about 150 photographs.  Here are a few to give you an idea.















You never know where you'll find your joy in a day!

3 comments:

  1. I saw some beautiful old autumobiles here, like that '55 Olds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to here about the alternator but I happy to know that you were able to get it fixed.
    My son who lives to photograph rusty anything would love the mechanics yard. The rusty cars are great but the yellow Desoto is fabulous ! I would love to have that parked in my driveway !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, that yellow Desoto (you don't hear that name any more, do you?) makes me think TAXI.

    Thank you for the photos of Bisbee. I'll have them in my mind when I read.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.