Saturday, May 3, 2014

Backwaters of Venice

We spent yesterday wandering around several parts of Venice, into the old Jewish ghetto area and back into more residential areas. The sun peeked out and lighted up the canals.  Here are a few of many photos I took.







A capped cistern. These were wells that collected rainwater for drinking in the past. Now water comes in from the Alps.

The Grand Canal showing some of the marine traffic. The boat on the right is a vaporetto, one of a fleet of water buses that ply the canals.


This photo was taken from the terrace in front of a palazzo on the grand canal. The tide is high and you can see it has covered the bottom stair.  That's another vaporetto passing by.




A doorbell in the Jewish ghetto area. You press the tongue of the face to ring the bell.

3 comments:

  1. I love the color of the water in the canals.
    What I loved was walking through narrow streets into a open area filled with a fountain, planter or tables. then down another narrow street to another plaza filled with shops and a restaurant. It was one of my best times.
    Your photos are wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip, I'm with you on wandering around entice. It's an incredible experience. I'm glad my photos can bring it back a little.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous shots. You really bring across the city's vibrant heart.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.