Sunday, July 5, 2015

Snippets from the week that was

It's been a busy time here on Yukon Street. We're getting ready for the water garden tour next weekend, featuring our back yard. This means repainting the side stairs, which sounded fairly simple until Harry found rot in the upper deck. So of course we're down to the wire.

You can see from this photo that it would not be possible to put off this repair.



On the painting front, I'm also painting a donated chair for a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. 25 chairs were available to interested artists and I took up the task. Here I've gessoed the chair and next week I'll start the process of changing its look. I'm still thinking of how to approach it. I'll keep you in the loop.

The weather here has been incredibly hot and we've enjoyed dining outside with our new drop-leaf table. It can be moved from the guest room/art room/dining room to the outside deck when needed. We had a fabulous dinner of salads and skewered chicken with our neighbours here a couple of days ago. Last night we dined outside with friends in their lovely garden.I'm sure enjoying this warm spell.


Today was strange though because we woke up to a very hazy red sky, as a result of forest fires in our province. I don't ever recall this before. It's quite eerie and I hope that they'll be able to get these wildfires under control. We headed down to Chinatown for coffee with our friends Liz and Ritchie. It was kind of nice to be able to sit outside without being blasted by the sun--but it felt weird. Below is Harry a photo of Harry and Ritchie looking pleased with themselves.













After that we took in Victoria's Pride Parade for the first time in years.  It's fun to see all the outrageous clothes people wear.... But it's also wonderful and heart-warming to see people of all shapes sizes and orientations standing together to be who they are. It actually brings tears to my eyes.










As well as the usual groups and individuals there were participants from local businesses, the RCMP, the City of Victoria, and three political parties: NDP, Liberal and the Green Party (below). Not a single Conservative member showed their face though. No surprise!



Later on we went out to lunch with our son Jamie and his girlfriend Stacie this afternoon at Spinnakers, a lovely spot on the harbour. Tomorrow Jamie turns 27.  How can that be?  I'm just a little past 27 myself, right?





3 comments:

  1. Yes indeed what a week.
    To bad about the stairs but I love the color.
    How exciting to have your garden in the tour the first year it was finished.
    Harry looks just the same as I remember. Great smile.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing other posts about the wildfires in the BC area... hopefully it doesn't come any worse than the summer from some years back in the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun catching up on your news. You sound busy and happy. I hope those wildfires are controlled soon. My big fear is a fire in the National Forest behind our house. Good Luck on the garden tour!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.