Sunday, October 11, 2015

Unravelling in Montreal

I sat down to write a blog post tonight, only to find that the cord for my camera is missing in action. This means that I can't upload photos or charge my camera so the photographic elements can't be added.  Without that there's not too much to say as photos are a big part of this endeavour.

We're in Montreal for the last few days of our trip and we've had a nice time exploring the old town and some museums. Yesterday we encountered a demonstration down by the Tourist Information Bureau. There were lots of people both young and old with signs against oil pipelines. The big issue here is the Energy East pipeline and the arguments against it are the same. I was ready to join in the march but we already had our tickets for the hop-on, hop-off bus. I found out later that Elizabeth May had attended that march.

As it turned out we hopped off the bus at the first stop because of the ignorant and prejudiced comments of the French Canadian commentator. He told the passengers that the demonstration was in support of the niquab and then proceeded to talk about how he was going to wear one to the polling station to show that he could even pretend to be a woman wearing it. I was disgusted with his overt racism.

Later I saw on TV that some people actually have been wearing niquab-like costumes that cover their face to the advance polls. Either they're commenting like the driver that it shouldn't be allowed, or they're saying the whole thing is a farce. It's odd to be in Eastern Canada at this time. We thought we could ignore the election while on our trip but it's really not possible. There are Justin Trudeau and Tom Mulcair signs everywhere. We saw lots of Conservative signs in the countryside but not many in Montreal.

At this point it's anybody's guess about what will happen on the 19th. We'll be home by then, and will be glad to be there. While we are enjoying this amazing city we are now very tired of being on the road and even the Rodin exhibit at the Beaux Art museum and the exhibits at the Biodome can't keep us from wanting to be home. I've also been having a lot of trouble walking with my knee and foot problems so we can't get around as easily as we've done in the past.

I'll maybe post again before we fly back on the 14th--that is if my camera cord turns up. Otherwise it will be from Victoria once we're home.

Photos added later--after I managed to get another camera cord....

Our sweet little hotel on Rue Stanley.



French anti-pipeline signage







A red stone builidng, faced with stone that came over as ballast in ships from Scotland.


Two paintings from the Musee de Beaux Arts that particularly appealed to me.




This is the street outside the gallery. The kids love it.


4 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing your photos of Montreal. I hope your cord shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry your having walking problems.
    I think you have been gone too long from home. You sound tired.
    I loved Montreal but I was not there for elections.
    Just think you election will be over soon and our will keep going on and on and on and on forever.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots of the city! Another week, and then hopefully we've turfed the lunatic in the PMO office once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to work on Rue Crescent - I think it is mostly restaurants now. I worked in the building which was the Ogilvy residence - it was a restaurant the last time I visited Montreal maybe 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.